Wednesday, June 09, 2010

DON'T BE A VICTIM- BEWARE OF THE SCAM !!

I grimly grinned when I saw what was in the letter that I received from Portugal. I don't have any regular communications with Portugal. That alone raised my curiosity and my suspicions. As it turned out, rightly so. The contents suggested I had won very many thousands of Euros on something equivalent to a postcode lottery, without my personal participation. 

For confirming my identity details, much as you would with a bank,including at least one photo identity document, I could ask, via a second form headed with their agent's details, to have lots of money transferred either to a bank account, if I supplied details, or, I could request one of two types of cheques to deposit the winnings myself. A London office address was given, it has been verified. The identification information however, was to be faxed to Madrid, Spain. So where does Portugal fit in?

This is an active SCAM doing the rounds, headed International Lotto Commission, in conjunction with Loteria Primitiva.

I have reported this correspondence to Consumer Direct; there are regional numbers which can be obtained via the internet. The guy I spoke to, drew up a case number for future reference, did not instruct me, though he strongly advised I do more research on various web sites. We also discussed the possible, (I think undoubted) risk of taking up this offer of winnings. "Remember," he said, "you were entered into this, you did not enter it yourself," and for further emphasis, "they entered you...

Fair enough.

This scam is being reported to the Consumer Affairs Office in London by Consumer Direct, for them to follow it up, if they can, at the official office address given in the letter. 

DON'T BE A VICTIM. IF YOU GET A LETTER LIKE THE ONE DESCRIBED, MAKE A REPORT ABOUT IT, IF YOU WISH, BUT, ABOVE ALL, DO NOT RESPOND TO THE SCAMMERS.

2 comments:

TG said...

I get these virtual letters in my emails inbox en mass. I wonder, if this online spam now changed to concrete real spam... that shall trick some old ladies for sure.

ZACL said...

The hard copy letter and the manner in which it is presented, will trick a lot of people. This plays on the acquisitive nature of people and the desire for money; it will appeal to gamblers, unbridled risk-takers and those people who are in financial difficulties.

From what I could see the name of the lotto links to an online site as well. There will be no easy acquisition of any so-called winnings. There could be a lot of financial losses and a large number of randomly picked victims.