Thursday, August 26, 2010

WILD RASPBERRIES

Watch your raspberries! 

I was in heaven, when on a walk I unexpectedly arrived at a host of ripe wild raspberries on bushes ripe for picking.  I moved on and found yet more and more. The berries were sweet, you could almost drink their moistness.  I walked a little between the discoveries of fruit laden finds, munching some of the small berry clusters growing at each bush stop. 'Forest' upon 'forest' of fruit bushes presented themselves. Yum.

I picked a few more raspberries, popped them into my mouth, then refilled my hand with more and popped them into my mouth and so it happily continued. This was truly one of nature's delights. But, the little fruits became unexpectedly wild. A sharp hot needle invaded the roof of my mouth. I swiftly blew back the couple of raspberries that were there, into my hand. Oh dear, there was a little bee in one of the fruit clusters, it had done what nature intended, poor thing. 88|

Deciding not to take any risks with bee stings, I made a swift retreat home.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you succumbed to the understandable urge to scoff all that fruit in the shortest possible time...

slowly, slowly catchee monkey...and raspberries it seems if you're to avoid bees too!

ZACL said...

Heavens No! Not munching in the shortest possible time. The 'walk' got rather prolonged. There was such an abundance of nature's riches there was no need to rush away, until I was stung.

Anonymous said...

i just hope the incident left no painful effects as bee stings can be very serious to certain people.

ZACL said...

The possible unintended consequences of raspberry munching were a concern of ours. Fortunately, once home - about 5 miles away - I quickly got on top of the symptoms. By Monday morning, there were no symptoms at all.

Anonymous said...

i'm very pleased to hear it! :)

ZACL said...

Many thanks Ax. I appreciate your thoughts.

I do have to watch out for later secondary developments with anything. Last night, when I wrote you, I think I may have been a bit optimistic; nevertheless, it's all manageable and that is the most important point.

zewt said...

send me some? :)

Flighty said...

Lucky you as been it's been years since I last tasted wild raspberries.
Sorry to read that you were stung and hope that all is now okay.
Picking blackberries the other day I noticed that quite a few had small black/yellow ladybirds on them, after which I checked before eating! Flighty xx

ZACL said...

Hi Zewt,

I'll leave you raspberry thoughts, they are likely to travel better!

:)

ZACL said...

Hello Mr F,

We have since seen more wild fruit on bushes and I can assure you, like you, I am checking for unsuspecting wild life which, aren't part of my usual food chain. There is such a glorious difference in flavour, between the cultivated berries, and the wild growing fruits.

zewt said...

that'll do :)