Friday, June 24, 2011

THERE'LL BE A WELCOME IN THE HILLSIDES...MAYBE

I enjoy people watching; without fail something of interest arises. Yesterday, was no exception. Two Welsh ladies,(the accents were immediately recognisable) who were tourists, were in a small cafe. One busied herself with her requirements and took semi-control of the other lady who had need of a walking stick. They were such different personalities; the moment the 'busy' one was asked by the counter assistant if the two of them were together,   a firm loud 'no' confirmed their status.  The woman quickly separated herself  from the other one and scuttled to a table, which she settled at. 


The other lady, a quiet sweet-mannered person, did need assistance, so I gave it, both with relating back prices, (she said she had two hearing aids) and carrying her tray. It seemed to me, this sweet soul wished to have space of her own. The lady's hesitation at where she might sit was her undoing. The first woman half stood to tell me very loudly they were staying in the same hotel, therefore, they would sit together. The two ladies were Welsh language speakers. One spoke Welsh like a song, the other was coarse.


They got up to leave as I did. 


We're Welsh, said the loud one... have you been to Wales?
Yes
.... I replied.
Where did you go?
I listed a few places.
That's different
.......and continuing at a higher pitch than before she stated....
most people here don't know where Wales is!


As I closed the cafe door, I looked at the three members of staff, two of whom were grinning, and if looks were anything to go by, the third one was ready to toss the caber and give her best shot!

:yes:

2 comments:

TG said...

What a delightful snippet of daily life. I wish I could see those Welsh ladies myself, very curious.

ZACL said...

Hello MKL

How are you?

Your comment is very apt...it was very curious with humorous elements at one level. On another level, the loud woman was disconnecting both of them from a sociable group from the same hotel party, by insisting on only communicating socially, in Welsh, apart from with me for that short exchange.