Monday, March 31, 2014

SSssh DON'T TELL ANYONE

Ssssh don't tell anyone will you.


It started with a final, very brief microwave defrost of the meat for the evening meal.  First, I punched holes in the cellophane wrap sealing the pack and placed it into the microwave oven.  For the short time it was 'doing,'  I concentrated on preparing vegetables, chopping onions, some ginger root and breaking up a bit of star anise. My little burst of aroma at this point did not smell the same as usual.  Anise does not smell like paraffin fumes.  Surely, hubby was not, at this time of the evening, still messing about  with primus stoves!  I carried on with my preparations. 

The microwave cheeped to let me know it had completed the set task.  I moved to get something from a cupboard and I saw a flash of orange bright.  It was then I turned to study the microwave and momentarily mesmerised, I stood and looked at a ........ flame.  It was low and steady.   I darted into action successfully rescuing the meat  from the microwave (saving the microwave did not cross my mind till afterwards) and the pyrotechnic excitement, with 'a sleight of hand,' disappeared.

As if the pyrotechnics were not enough excitement, when tidying up after our meal, I dropped a heavy dish onto several other dishes. Next,  when removing bits from the cooker to clean them, guess what, I dropped one of the metal saucepan stands on glass.   

Amazingly, nothing  broke.

That's it!  It's time to get out of the kitchen before my luck runs out and I  really do, do some damage.  

 





8 comments:

godschool said...

What a chapter of accidents - clearly it wasn't your day! Glad it wasn't worse, and I hope that cooking the meal today will be less eventful ;)

ZACL said...

Hi GillyK,

Thanks. Less eventful I intend things to be today. For one, we are not having anything to eat that needs defrosting in any manner.

The only thing taxing us, since last night, is Hubby's broken optical disk drive registry link.

Snowbird said...

Goodness, did you sort out where the flame came from? You have had a run of good luck...or bad luck that turned out all right on the night! At the first sight of a flame I would have been dashing to unplug the thing, so bravo to you for rescuing your supper!xxx

ZACL said...

Hi snowbird,

I take your plus minus point . As the MW is fitted in with plug behind it, turning off the mains switch would have been de rigeur. It was in the quiet of the early evening I thought of all the various permutations, why, what where and good grief! Xxx

flightplot said...

I'm sure that I commented on this post!
I presume that you now need a new microwave. Flighty xx

ZACL said...

Hello Mr F,

The post must have impressed itself into your subconscious. Glad you came back to it.

Thankfully, the MW is okay, I am not sure why, but it is. xx

rinaz said...

I'm just glad that you're safe!

ZACL said...

Hello Rinaz,

Thank you.

The full impact of what could have happened, did not descend upon me till later on.