Thursday, March 20, 2014

BEWARE OF THE DOG

There does not seem to be any way of dealing with  this nuisance.  There isn't, it seems, an effective equivalent of  'NO BILL POSTERS HERE' or,  the 'BEWARE OF THE DOG' notices on gates, to deter telephone cold callers.

Hello madam my name is Craig.....
 

'madam?' I'm on the alert.

he continues...I'm just ringing to find out who in your house is eligible for assistance.
 

These cold calls are beyond the pale. 

The companies appear to have begun to understand that asking for a few moments of my time has worn thin.  It is where the call very promptly ends.   A previous call was very much more deviously polished than the one above, from Craig...

Hello, I won't keep you long. I just want you to know that you could be eligible for a large amount of money.... I am silent; for him, cue to continue:

...we are offering the householder -are you the householder? - (silence) a large discount on replacing your windows........


6 comments:

Jennytc said...

Yes, extremely annoying. I generally don't answer the phone if I don't recognise the number on caller display, but if I do, I give them very short shrift. The telephone preference service doesn't seem to be very effective either.

Anonymous said...

As you say they are so annoying. I just say hold on, put the phone down and go back to what I was doing leaving them hanging on. Flighty xx

ZACL said...

Hello Jennyta,

I agree, the telephone preference service is a toothless organisation.

so many people now, use a variety of phones and numbers I am not sure I could keep up with them. I therefore, answer the phone if it rings.

Short shrift is where I am at, too.

ZACL said...

How long do you leave your phone hanging Mr F? Might you not miss a few calls that are genuine?

I have heard quite a number of people do leave the cold callers hanging. I am beginning to think some amusement might be in order.

keiko amano said...

I surely can relate to this! I no longer pick up any call unless the caller start identifying herself or himself on my answering machine. It's inconvenient, but I cannot help it. There are many crimes going around.

A friend of mine said she received a call that said her grandson was in jail in Mexico and needed her to deposit money right away. She didn't know where her grandson was, so she thought it could be true. But her son is a police sergeant, so she told the caller she would check with her son first. The caller didn't call again! Thank goodness he was a police sergeant, but if he wasn't I don't know what would have happened.

ZACL said...

Hello Keiko,

The use of the answering machine is a very good way of dealing with nuisance and scam calls.

Your story about your friend's experience is a common one, with variations, but also, with similar themes. There are emails constantly giving out such hard luck stories as well.