Wednesday, October 15, 2014

THE SERENDIPITY OF MASADA

At a local interest group I try to get to, the task in hand was for each of us to present a short exposition of something we might liked to have done, or something we had done, followed by questions from the group.  As I had missed a couple of meetings I felt I ought to show my face for this one. What to do for it was the issue. I thought of a couple of clever ideas, ideas that were just a bit too clever. I urged myself to keep it simple and drew a blank.

On the morning of the meeting I thought to talk about walking the wall around the old city of Jerusalem, illustrating the talk with pictures uploaded onto my tablet computer. First task was to find a set of useful photos. As I rooted around my computer files, I found a really diverse set of photos of a visit to Masada, which, at that moment generated great memories. As Masada serendipitously presented itself, Masada was what I would talk about.


Masada
The Winding Path To + From Masada











After filtering the photos to a sensible number, I then got on with the task of researching a bit of  information for a personal commentary and also some written background within the length of a succinct blog post.
Masada Cable Car-Winding Path+ A Roman Encampment (far left)
In the middle of the preparation for my talk, I was having a conversation with someone at the electricity company. Those calls are never simple, and this one was no different. Some long time later, I was back to the presentation.  Time!  I had twenty minutes to get myself ready and to get copies of the document off the computer.  Whatever mistakes there were would just have to be....no time to proof-read, edit, etc, nor to have lunch. eeek!! I grabbed a ripe pear and dashed out of the house.

I arrived ten minutes after everyone else, though, as I was not expected I was greeted as a long lost friend. Having offered my efforts, my contribution was second. The talk went well, everyone was pleased to receive the typed presentation blurb, even with a few typing errors. My pictures of Masada and The Dead Sea were poured over, slowly, many questions were raised and I was asked what camera I used!  Anyway,  by the time my topic ended it was time for tea.


Gazing At The Dead Sea At Sunset (not me)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes ask myself why I spend so long preparing for things - when it is often something done 'on the hoof' that seems to work out just as well! It sounds a fascinating presentation.

ZACL said...

I can't fault your logic one iota! But, what a rush of concentration last minute inspiration causes, not to mention lack of research time.

Masada is fascinating.

Anonymous said...

An enjoyable, and interesting, post and wonderful pictures.
I used to just the same when I went to an aviation group's meetings. I always came away thinking to myself that next time...but of course never did. Flighty xx

Snowbird said...

What an interesting place, I would have enjoyed that presentation too. The last pic is absolutely stunning. Often things prepared quickly turn out to be the best. The manager of wildlife returned from Jordan today, she spent time in the dead sea and was showing me her pics, she also had a stunning video of a electrical storm over the sea at night....that was simply amazing.xxx

ZACL said...

Thank you Mr F.

I guess these interest meetings keep us on our toes and help the grey matter do a work out!

xx

ZACL said...

Hi Snowbird,

We booked three nights at the resort we went to. The time of year, (January) did not present any storms during our sojourn. There was a drought; I think rain would would have been welcome, though I don't know if electric storms and rain always go hand in hand.

Warmth levels were very tolerable, about 26C. Other times of year with high heat could be totally impossible.

Herod's palace, (he of the Moses story) up at the top is amazing. And views on the way up and from the top are stunning.

xx